BANG noise after installing ingalls adjustable ball joint.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
BANG noise after installing ingalls adjustable ball joint.

I'm riding on bottomed out tein SS's, and have been for over a month now. I've never had my shocks bottom out in this amount of time.

Yesterday I installed two Ingalls adjustable ball joints on my fronts to correct my camber, and on my way to work today I heard a loud bang after going over every significant bump. I really don't think this is my shocks, in fact I'm positive. Could the new ball joints be causing contact issues in my front suspension?

I jacked the car up to take a look, and I found nothing but two tiny scratches exactly where the top nut of the ball joint would contact if it were to travel all the way up. These are most likely from installation.

I'm lost at this point. I really hope someone can help me.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Has anyone experienced this? Or can someone help? My car's undrivable right now.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Instructor

The top nut of the adjustable ball joint is hitting the top of the frame close the where the strut mount is. It hit so har that it dented through, and cracked the paint above it.

My question is, how did so many other cl owners lower their cars, install a camber kit, and not have this problem.

The impression that I got was that if I lowered my car I would have camber issues, and that these would be simply fixed by installing a camber kit and getting a proper alignment. The camber kit I installed is ingalls 35591.

Does anyone know a solution to my problem
Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,137 Likes on 4,805 Posts
Im sorry I cant help you with this. I installed a different kit. I hosted the pic you sent me. Hopefully this can help other people see what youre talking about.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Instructor

yea thats my problem as of right now, thanks for hosting the picture.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Wide Body 3.2 CL-S

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
have the same issue... went with the low profile control arms thinkig it would help, but didnt. im going to try reinstalling the suspension to see if i missed a step.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even with my Tein SS' bottomed out, my alignment shop was still able to bring my fronts back to oem specs. Why did you need to install the camber kit?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Instructor

the inside of my last pair of tires wore down in two weeks flat. and it wasn't caster wear.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1st gen on Tein SS-P's, it's a known issue with the adjustable balljoints
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
You missed my thread last month. I had the same problem, wore out the tires, installed Ingalls ball joint, now I get the same banging. They should've stated that the ball joint camber kits are to correct camber on stock height cars only.

krazykrnboi, I was going to get the arms, did they help at all?

There was a thread about this same problem, can't find it now, but someone dermeled or drilled a hole in the shock tower so that the stud and nut would clear. I did the same thing. It helped a lot.

n0rmal, your alignment shop can't adjust the camber, only measure it. If it's close to 1* they just call it good. Get a level and check how much camber you have. If you don't have one, use a string with a weight, you'll be suprised at how much camber you have. The OE settings are 0.0*+/-1.0*. That's a total of 2* tolerance.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Instructor

I agree that any buyer of the ball joints should be aware that it won't work well with slammed cars. I'm not sure how I feel about taking cutting tools to my strut mounts, although I did consider that as an option.

For now I'm going to get the low profile control arms, and if that doesn't work I'll make more clearance near the strut tower in some way.

I think this information should go somewhere that people researching camber kits and lowered suspensions can find it easy / sticky in things you should know about a cl.

I'll post back up after I get the new arms in, until then I'll have my .
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM
2damndvs4uhaters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was dropped on neuspeed RAce springs and tociko shocks with ingals camber kits and ha no issues then I switched to tien basics and the problem started
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
GroundeDCustoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just installed ingalls full a arm with installed ball joint. on ksports. top of ball joint hits the upper as you guys all seem to be experiencing.
No way can you get to stock specs when your slammed without a camber kit. not happening.
I cant seem to understand the poor design in this kit. And drilling holes is not an option. mite just bang the area with a rod to roll the area away.. inputs welcom..
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
does the same issue occur with the spc kit for the front

I know that the ingalls kit for the rear is great, but have heard lots of complaints about the fronts
Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 AM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by Nersh7
does the same issue occur with the spc kit for the front

I know that the ingalls kit for the rear is great, but have heard lots of complaints about the fronts
from what i hear the spc kit is by far worst but alot cheaper. The spc kit is about an inch taller then ingals. I know skunk2 came out with a dope setup and seem sto solve the issue but the application list is a few. and the 2nd gen cl is out so.. I would go with the ingalls and just make minor adjustments to the top of the wheel well. im gunna do that thius weekend and ill let u know what goes on.. Iv heard of guys cuttin holes but thats extreme
Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundedCustom
from what i hear the spc kit is by far worst but alot cheaper. The spc kit is about an inch taller then ingals. I know skunk2 came out with a dope setup and seem sto solve the issue but the application list is a few. and the 2nd gen cl is out so.. I would go with the ingalls and just make minor adjustments to the top of the wheel well. im gunna do that thius weekend and ill let u know what goes on.. Iv heard of guys cuttin holes but thats extreme
I dunno what by far worst but alot cheaper really means. Ive had the spc no issues at all, dont remember anyone else having these issues. Everyone Ive read who installed the ingall's has this issue tho.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
I dunno what by far worst but alot cheaper really means. Ive had the spc no issues at all, dont remember anyone else having these issues. Everyone Ive read who installed the ingall's has this issue tho.
It means they are taller than the Ingalls and they cost less than the Ingalls ball joint.

You have no issues because you aren't low enough.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by RooEng
It means they are taller than the Ingalls and they cost less than the Ingalls ball joint.

You have no issues because you aren't low enough.
ah ok thnx for deciphering the retard speak for me. Im dropped 1.8-2 inches with less than 1 finger gap, would never wanna go lower. Ill leave that for the younger look at me gangsta types
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just installed the Ingalls uppers and am sitting on B&G springs and struts over 18's. The drop should have been 1.5" but is more like 2". My uppers are hitting the top of the fender over the smallest bumps but are fine at highway speed. I inspected the top of the strut mount and there is a pimple where the mounts are hitting.

Now what? Is it the struts/springs aren't stiff enough to absorb the shock?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
This will help
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Seriously?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Cut holes, or go higher,or go back to stock balljoints and have camber wear on your tires.
About the only options unless you have the money for air ride.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Or get the lower profile Ingalls complete upper control arm and dont worry about hitting (or hit much less).
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Awesome.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by richardparker
Cut holes, or go higher,or go back to stock balljoints and have camber wear on your tires.
About the only options unless you have the money for air ride.
Thanks for the pic, it really helps.

And for the record, your car may not be for everyone but I thought it was done well and you certainly didn't deserve the beating this site gave you.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
GroundeDCustoM

a retard is one that makes gestures over a pc. relax urself, i wrot it fast, wasnt exspectign grammer corrections, but thanks for it.
As far as ride height, that is going to be the deciding factor in who gets the interfernece issue. And judging by your wack comments, im sure your riding tall. with your 1.5 inch drop you have alot to go, and if you have stock wheels , u must also have one fatt finger cus no way ur sittin one finger gap with a 1.5" drop. I like my rides slammed with optimum suspension, and thats exactly what the ksports with the ingalls kit was supossed to achieve.
putting that aside, regardless, if purchasing ingalls it will solve your camber issues when slamming, but will offer a new problem of strut tower interference.

correction.. 1.8"-2" drop. 1.8"??.

\
Originally Posted by brian6speed
ah ok thnx for deciphering the retard speak for me. Im dropped 1.8-2 inches with less than 1 finger gap, would never wanna go lower. Ill leave that for the younger look at me gangsta types
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM

ksport =/= optimum

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
GroundeDCustoM

optimum in regards to a nice setup. Its not a ebay coilover. Ksports and a legit camber setup. Obviously for under a grand its not optimum,
wateva.. this site for some reason will pick you apart every last word. Everyone wants to be the one that sounds like they know everything.
Instead of adding a comment like ksport not optimum, input a useful comment . Buncha pot stirrers.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
ksport =/= optimum

Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 PM

OK.

KSports have no quality control. They are underdamped and oversprung. They are the exact same thing as Omni and Megan coilovers (which last I checked, are eBay coilovers). They are made in the exact same factory but each brand is a different color. Ive had two sets of KSports, one on my Civic and one on my CL. The set on my Civic lasted about a year and a half and the set on the CL lasted just over a year.

Yes, the fully threaded shock body on them is a nice design, but in the end the product is still shoddy.

That =/= optimum.

You spent what, $800 on the KSports? Another $300 can get you a set of coilovers that are well built and last. Some of which even have lifetime warranties.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundedCustom
i just installed ingalls full a arm with installed ball joint. on ksports. top of ball joint hits the upper as you guys all seem to be experiencing.
No way can you get to stock specs when your slammed without a camber kit. not happening.
I cant seem to understand the poor design in this kit. And drilling holes is not an option. mite just bang the area with a rod to roll the area away.. inputs welcom..
I am running the Ksports as well and had this exact issue. I just went with the ingall adjustable control arm and hammered out the wheel liner a little and haven't bumped since then. Did I get lucky or are you guys just lower?

OK.

KSports have no quality control. They are underdamped and oversprung. They are the exact same thing as Omni and Megan coilovers (which last I checked, are eBay coilovers). They are made in the exact same factory but each brand is a different color. Ive had two sets of KSports, one on my Civic and one on my CL. The set on my Civic lasted about a year and a half and the set on the CL lasted just over a year.

Yes, the fully threaded shock body on them is a nice design, but in the end the product is still shoddy.

That =/= optimum.

You spent what, $800 on the KSports? Another $300 can get you a set of coilovers that are well built and last. Some of which even have lifetime warranties.
I am pretty happy with my Ksports, but they are also my first set of coils. I got mine for a steal so I'll deff have to do some more research when these are done. Hopefully more than a year, haha!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
GroundeDCustoM

i get your point, and i also know th eissues with ksport, but for heavy drop and decent adjustabilities they fit the bill.
as for lasting iv heard the a year like you claim and iv also heard 4 plus so it boils down to type of driving and how much. I only put on mayb 6-8k a year. Not my daily driver.
ALL GOOD ON MY END.
lifetime warrenties?? for real? what company supports that type of warrenty? For alitle over a grand thats hard to believe .
if it wasnt for ingalls which this discussion is really about i would have no issues with the K's. i gues its either dril a massiv hole as one did and posted a pic or bang up section or raise th ecar. nahh i aint rasin nothing. prob drill a hole. never gunna sell it, thats for sure..

OK.

That =/= optimum.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

AMR coilovers have a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i just bought the ingalls adjustable control arms with adjustable ball joints.

so you are saying that I will STILL hit the tower with these on??? or is that only the adjustable ball joint?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Finally Registered

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i had this same problem, but not every single bump just huge dips and fast speed.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
i just bought the ingalls adjustable control arms with adjustable ball joints.

so you are saying that I will STILL hit the tower with these on??? or is that only the adjustable ball joint?
Both will hit, but it depends on your height.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah depends on the height I guess. I have the ingall setup and i don't hit. I'm not sure how people are hitting the shock tower...when connected i didn't think the control arm could go that high...maybe my k's don't go that low? Either way you'll have issues when you lower...just the nature of the beast. Depends how low you want to go.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
GroundeDCustoM

AMR coilovers have a lifetime warranty.
im liking those. lifetime thats a heavy claim to live up to, They must good
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im slammed on function and forms and for the brand whore up there i have damping and they cost over a g on my 05 tl fuck tucking tires im tucking rims i also had just put on ingalls uppers didnt notice tell last week when i went down to summer ride height im hoping i dont have to drill a large hole