2.3CL electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3CL electrical problems

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to see that there is a forum for CL owners... I have a 1998 Acura 2.3CL and I'm noticing that when the engine is on but I'm stopped, every time I turn the air on, open/close the windows, the engine gets affected in a very clear way. I notice a slowdown in the regime and the RPM goes down... I also feel the engine vibrating more as if it's trying to compensate for this need for extra electrical power.. I took the car to the dealer but (since it's still under warranty) they said that it's normal.... I can't believe that the passengers should feel the engine vibrating and a loss of power every time the fans turn on or i close the window. My cousin has a civic and you don't feel it....

I don't know what to fix... It's a shame, i like this car but this is really annoying...

Does anyone know how to fix this ? or has anyone experienced it too?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:41 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To a degree, this is normal. It's not unusual for the engine to labor more when it's at idle (versus at running speed). The electrical drain on the battery/alternator becomes more apparent at idle speed than at running speed.

I really noticed a power drain when I installed a number of aftermarket electrical items. So, I installed a higher amp alternator, and the problem disappeared (no dimming lights or slow windows).

From what I'm reading in your post, you are experiencing this with no major electrical "add-ons". Has this problem just recently occured, or has this been the "norm"?

It's hard to tell if what you're experiencing may be "normal" or if you should get your electrical system check.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Well, i hasn't always been like this... I have about 110000km on it and i haven't changed any of the following: sparkplugs, timing belt (the dealer says that it's not needed before 160k kms)... I don't know if changing them could help...

A friend told me that it seems the timing of my engine is off and that this could lead to an accentuated drain effect on the pwoer and engine.. He suggests that I go get a tune up and ask a garage to check my idle and timing... I'm just worried that this garage will see this as an opportunity to change everything $$$$.

Seeing the mileage I have on it, is there anything you suggest to changed on it that might fix the problem?

The engine was never this noisy or shaky...
Old 05-20-2002, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Maybe the alternator belt is slipping. Check it for dry rot.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

It's totally normal what you have. Hondas just have crappy and weak alternators. Plus, you have a 4 cylinder engine, which just makes it worse. I have the same thing on mine. My friend had the same thing on his civic. Unless one day your car won't start and your battery is dead, then I doubt that it is the timing that your friend is talking about. Really how often are you just sitting there idling? As long as it doesn't do that while your driving you'll be fine. And remember that the AC will always drain a lot of juice from your car.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Instructor

I had the dealer look at my car last year for the same thing... a drop in RPM's when it idles that causes the whole car to vibrate more that it should in my opinion. If i would press the gas pedal down slightly to increase the RPMS by 1-tick on the Tach, the vibration would go away.

Of Course, they said that "its normal for the RPMs to drop slightly when idling.

Switching to synthetic oil helped a little, but its still noticable some times
Old 05-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i say its normal because of the paracitic loss from the accesories.

my engine does the same thing, especially when i turn on the a/c.

the same thing happened in my altima, pathfinder, and my parents volvo s70.

i wouldnt worry about it unless you woke up one day and the car didnt wanna start.

welcome to the forum
Old 05-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with all of you that a drop in the RPMs can result from turning the fan on or just the headlights... Although, it really really annoys me... I'm experiencing the same exact thing as UDMechE said... But what I guess is making it worst is that the engine has become much noiser all of a sudden... I feel as if i'm driving a pontiac... When i first bought it last summer, it didn't do this or let's say it wasn't this rough...What could be causing it to be noiser than before?

So when the engine is forcing more and the RPM is dropping the noise becomes annoying and I press the gaz pedal a bit to get rid of it... I will try the switch to synthetic oil (even if I don't see a direct connection with this) and I'm thinking of replacing my sparkplugs... The dealer said that i shouldn't change the ones on it because they are platinum and they should last until 140000Kms... I have a feeling that they could be causing this extra noise since they aren't burning gaz efficiently...

Any suggestions on which sparkplugs to get? SHould I get the iridium ones since they require less power to generate sparks...

Next car, V6 at least....
Old 05-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Racer

I corrected my hard idle by tightening my throttle linkage. I put my idle RPM up to about 800 RPM opposed to 500 where it was at after I put my intake and exhaust on. This completely corrected that problem and it also increases throttle response (free horsepower) I also have the problem with the windows and air draining power due to my amp and my endless list of little accessories larger altinator is on the purchase list.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Cruisin'

Thx. Any pointers for the sparkplugs? Which are the most efficient for our cars?... Iridium, platinum, etc.. and which specific brands (I have the 2.3CL 98)

23: how do you tighten your throttle linkage? Does it cost much? When my car is idle at Drive, the RPM is at or a bit below 800. If i put it to neutral, it goes to 500... Should i do anything for it or is this normal?

Anyone has an idea about the extra noise i mentioned earlier:

I'm experiencing the same exact thing as UDMechE said... But what I guess is making it worst is that the engine has become much noiser all of a sudden... I feel as if i'm driving a pontiac... When i first bought it last summer, it didn't do this or let's say it wasn't this rough...What could be causing it to be noiser than before?