Does this sound like a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this sound like a blown head gasket?

My 99 CL has around 126,xxx miles on it. Since I got it in Feb I've cleaned the intake manifold to cure the 0401 code. Replaced t-stat & coolant while at it. It seemed fine then would start rough but would always smooth out (sometimes requiring stepping on the gas to get it to run). So I changed plugs then fuel pressure regulator (prev owner replaced cap & wires). Yesterday it heated up on the turnpike. No visible leaks anywhere & the top hose+ radiator were hot so I let it cool & drove home with the heat on. The temp gauge would float between normal & hot. This morning it started rough again then I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. What do you think I'm looking at? Should I just plan on doing the timing, water pump & checking the head gasket? I have no idea if the 105k service was done on this car.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Possible Blown Headgasket

In my opinon, you don't even have to drive the car to verify it is overheating. Just let the car idle. If the temp. goes past half, you may have a headgasket issue. Assuming you bled all the air out of the coolant flow path, symptoms for a blown headgasket might be coolant and oil mixing together, and the temp continually rising even if the cooling fan cuts on. Did you check that as well? I've heard failing water pumps will leak from a "weep" hole, or they get noisy.

I drove a 92 Legend (Legends are notorious for this) with a blown headgasket. Not fun.

Originally Posted by 99 CL 23 Auto
My 99 CL has around 126,xxx miles on it. Since I got it in Feb I've cleaned the intake manifold to cure the 0401 code. Replaced t-stat & coolant while at it. It seemed fine then would start rough but would always smooth out (sometimes requiring stepping on the gas to get it to run). So I changed plugs then fuel pressure regulator (prev owner replaced cap & wires). Yesterday it heated up on the turnpike. No visible leaks anywhere & the top hose+ radiator were hot so I let it cool & drove home with the heat on. The temp gauge would float between normal & hot. This morning it started rough again then I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. What do you think I'm looking at? Should I just plan on doing the timing, water pump & checking the head gasket? I have no idea if the 105k service was done on this car.