Intermittent Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Intermittent Transmission Problems

Hey Guys!

I have a 97 3.0 cl with 147,000 miles. For the past year or more I have had this problem with the transmission where it seems to shift into a higher gear or possibly even lock (as it does in 4th gear on the highway) at any and all speeds.

An example is when I am at a light and I start to go the car seems to shift straight to 3rd or 4th gear ( or the tranny locks). The RPM's drop very low and the car feels like it is in a very high gear. If I push the pedal down almost to the floor the car will take off like a bat out of hell and shift normally until I am close to my cruising speed, then it "locks" again.

This problem comes and goes but seems to appear mostly when it is very hot out. I have no problems in the fall and winter but in the summer they come back. Sometimes I can drive the car for 45 minutes before the problem shows up, other times the problem shows up after only 5 minutes driving after a cold start. BUT, once the problem shows up it stays until I shut the car off for a while.

I have taken it to the dealer a few times and they could not find the problem. At their suggestion I had them flush the tranny and it was ok for about 4 or 5 days and then the same problems again. Then all winter last year I had no problems. Finally I took it to the dealer again last week while the problem was present and I had a tech ride with me. He was stumped and agreed with me with regard to what it was doing. He seemed to think, it was a mechanical problem (and not a computer problem) and that I needed to remove the tranny to have the problem diagnosed, and that it was probably a good idea to just install a rebuilt tranny. As you all know, this will cost me big bucks and it is not really something I want to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?? As I said, it only seems to happen when the weather is hot so I thought perhaps I could install a tranny cooler. Do you think another flush or fluid change would help?? or should I just dump it while the weather is cooler and buy another car??

Thanks in advance!!

Madhattr
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

i think its a sensor problem.. try the shift solenoid located at the top of the tranny. then try the linear solenoid.. someone on this board has an extra tranny they were parting out so you can prolly get these sensors from them cheaper. or go to a junk yard.

the shift solenoid id #7

the linear solenoid is #9

there is a bench check you can do to each of them but you got to get the service manual which i suggest its only 38$ and it covers everything you need to know or dont need to know about the 3.0. heres another link. it says 99 but it covers 97-99 which have alot of differences in the tranny.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...CBG2LNEX89EPF7
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
word, but a tranny fluid change cant hurt either, just dont flush it!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

Do I have to take out the tranny to get to these solonoids?? I am guessing no correct? Unfortunately, I have already had the tranny flushed by the dealer last year and I think the guy who had it before me had it flused as well by the same dealer. I never saw anything negative on these boards about the tranny flushes until I started logging in again a week or so ago.

What do you guys think about the cooler?? You put one in didnt' you wilp99?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

3.0 cl seems to intermittently grab and jerk the vehicle on occaision.. will try to decifer if it is when cold or hot and get back to ya'llz