Passenger-side Mirror Replacement, tip-down issue!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Passenger-side Mirror Replacement, tip-down issue!!!

Car: 2003 CL Type-S, 6 Speed

Issue: Replacement mirror didn’t function properly when putting car into reverse (with mirror position switch centered).

Reason: Computer needs to learn the mirror’s max positions (all the way up/down/out/in)

Solution:
1) Cycle through the mirror's positions all the way: out, in, up and down; letting it click several times each time it hit its max position.

2) Re-adjust mirror to desired position.

3) Store its position in Memo memory.

Mirror Removal:
1) Carefully remove triangular cover panel inside which is covering the mirror's mounting bolts. Leave it hanging in place.

2) Remove door latch handle mounting screw (under small black cover).

3) Carefully pull out door latch handle assembly and leave it hanging in place.

4) Unscrew screw under armrest.

5) Carefully remove door panel.

Reinstall in reverse order.

Prologue:
So here I was, sitting behind another car on a country road, waiting for the driver in front of me to make a left-hand turn. But I was too impatient to wait, so I attempted to squeeze between the car in front and a garbage container. Looked like plenty of room on the right. So I went for it. Oh snap... or should I say, "Oh smack". That was the sound of my right-side mirror smacking the garbage container. Oh silly me... didn't I feel stupid!!! Mirror was all folded back, cracked and barely hanging onto the servo motor. I'm very lucky that my passenger-side window didn't break.

After doing a search here, I found other's who had suffered the same doom of the right-side mirror/garbage contain.

But thanks to the miracle of duct tape, I was able to retrain my right-side mirror view, albeit, somewhat obstructed by the duct tape and not remotely adjustable.

Anyway, I order a new mirror from Acura. It arrived 1 week later and was color matched to my car. So this last weekend, I replaced my broken mirror with the new mirror.

Everything looked good until I attempted to put the car into reverse. The mirror tipped all the way down and wouldn't stop; it just kept clicking. And worse yet, the mirror wouldn't return to its original position after taking the car out of reverse.

After a lot of searching and calling around, I finally found someone who had a clear solution to the problem. I was advised by an Acura tech who I knew, that the computer needed to re-learn the mirror’s max positions.

Last edited by NSX-Tuner; 03-31-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Amended Instructions

Mirror Removal:
1) Carefully remove triangular cover panel inside which is covering the mirror's mounting bolts. Leave it hanging in place.

2) Remove door latch handle mounting screw (under small black cover).

3) Carefully pull out door latch handle assembly and leave it hanging in place.

4) Remove screw through access hole under the armrest.

5) Carefully remove door panel by going around from the front, bottom and rear edges, releasing the clips that hold it in place.

Reinstall in reverse order. Note: lock button will need to be carefully repositioned into its top hole. Door panel needs to hang from top edge before attempting to re-clip it into place.