Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Gas, Grass, or Ass.......

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light

Already did a search.

My question is, could recent cold weather be causing my "Check Engine light" to come on.

Light came on a few night ago. Car ran fine, I had filled up with gas the morning the light came on, put the cap on tight so no problem there.

I took it to a local shop to get it diagnosed, and they said the code that came up was an "Undocumented Code" and probably had something to do with the gas cap, or the car running while filling it up. Niether was true, they cleared the code and the light stayed off for about 24 hours. This morning started the car up and let it idle for a bit before taking off, "Check Engine Light" came back on about 5 minutes into my commute.

The only other thing recently done to the car was, I ran the hose from the trunk to the engine compartment for my ZEX system. Followed the gas filler tube through the suspension to the plastic trough that runs along the undercarrage to the engine compartment. Could I have caused some sort of mettallic fault by following the gas filler tube. I'm not sure exactly what the gas cap has to do with the "Check engine Light" or how that sensor works. This is the reason I took it to a local shop to avoid any warrenty hassles.

If the problem was emmisiion's could the code still be "undocumented"? or would it specifically relate to an emmisions problem.

I plan on removing the ZEX hose and resetting the ECU, if it comes on again I guess I'll make the trip to the dealer. Just curious to hear what the experts have to say first.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:06 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

Basically the check engine light is a result of a variety of sensors:

There's a:

Misfire Sensor <-- probably not a problem here
EGO <-- Exhaust Gas Oxygen
Evap <-- This is what causes the light to come on when the gas cap is off. Under OBDII it has to come on for Gross Leaks (Cap off), all the way up to 0.020'' - if there is a leak anywhere in your system the MIL will come on.
Fuel <-- problems w/ fuel system
SAIR <-- Secondary Air (don't know if there is one on our cars)
Catalyst <-- Emmissions
EGR <-- Exhaust Gas Recurculation

That's about the only ones I can think of.

Basically your MIL light will come on and keep emissions below 1.5 times the federal standard.

One thing you could try is near the green light on your dashboard there's this little space. If you put your key in there, it may clear your MIL.

I don't know if that was any help, but either way Good Luck...
Old 01-16-2003, 08:29 AM

I'll go try that right now. Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:39 AM

No luck. Although it did seems to reset the annoying green maintenance light. The "Check Engine Light" is still comes on.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:37 PM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

Try taking the stuff you said you would off, and see if that does anything, otherwise I think you may have to take it to the dealer to get the codes off. They have an NGS, and they know what the codes are...

It may be an emission thing, but it could be something else, and I think better safe than sorry.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

This might work on a 3.0....dont know.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:15 PM

I saw that when I did my search. I didn't read it closely though. I thought it was referring that box you plug in to analyze the codes. I'll try the paperclip trick.

I did notice something else strange. Car's in park. When I turn the key to the point where all the "idiot" lights light. Then start the car the light goes out and then comes back on and stays on. Once this happens I notice on the diagram of the shifter on the dash has "Park" out lined in green. But "D4" at the same time is out lined in red, this seems strange to me for some reason.

Maybe I'm just paranoind about the tranny, but this doesn't give me a good feeling. The car runs and shifts fine though.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:24 AM
9th Gear

The same thing just happened to me. The exact same symptoms. Upon further inspection it ended up being code 1491 - EGR valve. They determined that it is either the solenoid (?) or the EGR itself. And it did come up 'undocumented' on the scanner.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:29 AM

Thanks Tom. Guess I'll have to pull my ZEX stuff out and take it to the dealer for some warrenty work.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 AM
9th Gear

NO problem, it was funny reading your post because it was almost word for word what I went through. My first thoughts were the gas cap as well. Its funny how that light only comes back after 24 hours, that really threw me. Be sure to read the fine print on the warranty because the EGR is not always covered, on mine it happens the be because I got the expensive warranty. If it is indeed the EGR, you will be using that warranty because my mechanic says it is EXPENSIVE. If it is just the solenoid, pay your local mechanic $75 and leave the can on. Just my input, please post your experience, because I have yet to get mine fixed. My mechanic ALSO advised me that the car should be faster in that condition because it is running richer. Gas mileage has also been suffering.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:26 AM

Just talked to Pohanka Acura here in N. VA. Not covered under Acura's warrenty, only covered for 4 years or 50,000. I do have an extended warrenty from Car Max, that Pohanka will honor, the deductable is a bit higher to have the work done at the dealer, but there is no way I'm taking it to Car Max!!!

I'll check my Car Max extended warrenty to be sure the EGR is covered. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:44 AM

Shit. Doesn't look like the EGR Valve is covered. In fact Car Max specifically excludes it.

Did your mechanic happen to give you any idea what it would cost?

Does anyone know what an EGR replacement would cost out of pocket? Just want to prepare for the worst case. Who knows maybe it'll be something else.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:35 PM
9th Gear

Cross your fingers that it's just the solenoid or sensor or whatever that is next to it that helps it work. Accessibility to the EGR itself is limited, so I understand there is some serious labor involved as well. I would estimate a few hundred dollars, knowing that car. I hope it works out for ya, keep up posted!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:06 AM

Tom

Just heard back from Pohanka, problem was exactly what you thought. EGR Valve. Good thing is, even though my warrenty with Acura is expired and my Car Max warrenty doesn't cover it. The Acura recall does, so it's a free repair! I didn't even know there was a recall out on the EGR Valve, it falls under an emmission recall of some sort. Also getting the Ignition recall taken care of while it's there.

The mechanic tells me that the radiator fluid is filthy so he wants to flush the cooling system, gonna cost me $70.00 for that. I'm just relieved I don't have to pay for the EGR Valve, so I told them go ahead and do the flush.

One other thing to note here I didn't remove any of the Nitrous stuff, and I still have the Venom 400 sitting in the car disconnected, they never even mentioned it.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tom078
The same thing just happened to me. The exact same symptoms. Upon further inspection it ended up being code 1491 - EGR valve. They determined that it is either the solenoid (?) or the EGR itself. And it did come up 'undocumented' on the scanner.
I'm having the same code 1491, I haven't taken it to Acura cuz' the money's short right now. Can't find info in it anywhere...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:45 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a recall for emissions and the EGR is a big part of the recall and they will do everything for free