Turbo vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo vs Supercharger

Hello All,

I am new to the CL-S6 world. I just bought mine last week. I have been doing some lurking for a few days and it seems the community thinks a supercharger is a better fit for the CL-S6. Can I ask why that is? Have there been bad experiences with turbos on our cars? Is it simply because an existing supercharger set-up is readily available?

It just doesn’t make much sense to me. Since our car is FWD, traction is our weak point. Turbos produce power at higher revs where hooking up is less of an issue. SCs produce low end torque a lot which, in a car that already has problems grabbing the road, seems counter-intuitive. Can someone school me on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
I agree turbos are better and can generate more power.

I would think if ct made a turbo kit it would be bought over the sc kit. But the bottom line is the supercharger kit is readily available making it much cheaper and less complicated to install which is why I think you don't see many turbos.

Factor in the matter that the boost cannot be that high without having to build the motor. Iirc supercharger vs turbo with a low boost is usually better with supercharger cause u get power through the whole band instead of a spike in power and that makes a sc more viable over a turbo if you are within these constraints.

With that said its likely easier on the engine. I would imagine the fuel system would be much harder on a turbo cause of the variance in pressure all the time. Supercharger is more consistent so its likely just more of a basic addition to the CL vs a turbo.

The physics of a turbo tho make way more sense for dragging and gas mileage. But a supercharger has the power there all the time. It depends on what you want.
The following users liked this post:
Powder Monkey (04-21-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
Factor in the matter that the boost cannot be that high without having to build the motor. Iirc supercharger vs turbo with a low boost is usually better with supercharger cause u get power through the whole band instead of a spike in power and that makes a sc more viable over a turbo if you are within these constraints.
these engines love boost!
with a turbo, you can tune to have a flat torque band, or you can tune to let the turbo come in strong at 2000 RPM.
a turbo will be better than a supercharger because a supercharger run on belts. a parasitic loss already. so it'll take 40 hp to make an additional 60 hp with a supercharger.

the technology used on the CT blower is just bad.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

When I was lurking I found this

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-dynograph-gallery-51/my-turbo-cl-s6-dyno-695856/

Was there ever any follow-up to if this worked out in the long run? Did it go boom shortly after? Any reasons cloning this set-up today would be difficult? (aka parts no longer available)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
tuning seems to be hard with the CL6. That's the problem. A turbo is going to be mostly custom on this car. You can look up a few setups on this site and copy them as best you can, but there's no bolt on kit, so you'll hit a lot of speed bumps. But a turbo will be much better than the CT setup.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info. Still going back to the earlier question. what sort of longevity have people gotten on turbo set-ups? stock internals hold up ok to say, 350 WHP?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
The few who have gone turbo seemed to move onto something else soon after. There's no one I know of who ran a turbo for a long time....or someone who posted about it anyways.

These engines are strong and could handle the boost. If your setup is quality and tuned properly, you'll be fine. But you'll be breaking axles and things like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by gnuts:
justnspace (04-21-2014), Powder Monkey (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Powder Monkey
Hello All,

I am new to the CL-S6 world. I just bought mine last week. I have been doing some lurking for a few days and it seems the community thinks a supercharger is a better fit for the CL-S6. Can I ask why that is? Have there been bad experiences with turbos on our cars? Is it simply because an existing supercharger set-up is readily available?

It just doesn’t make much sense to me. Since our car is FWD, traction is our weak point. Turbos produce power at higher revs where hooking up is less of an issue. SCs produce low end torque a lot which, in a car that already has problems grabbing the road, seems counter-intuitive. Can someone school me on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The only setup available is the ct supercharger besides custom. That is the only reason s/c is more popular.

A custom setup is almost necessary, along with figuring out tuning solution yourself.

I personally prefer N/A. Most people who put a s/c or turbo on our cars don't track(i don't mean drag strip) and just want to do burnouts on the highway to show off.

Either a turbo or s/c will be plenty on a traction limited fwd car as you put it. Will you be running rear staggered wheel setup with huge camber and stretched tires too?

It seems to me a turbo needs a lil more heat management than a s/c does when mounted in the engine bay.

You can check out youngones thread for a turbo build.

Gerzand installed a rotrex s/c on his third gen tl. This would probably be the route I would take if not N/A.

With either setup I would boost by gear. There is also something called a gas pedal that you can use to modulate power. You don't have to always floor it.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

I can't quite tell if some of that was passive-aggressive jabs at my driving abilities, but either way I appreciate the advice and I'll definitely check out that thread. Also, boost by gear is a must. I have a friend 420 WHP SRT-4 I've driven a handful of times and without it, life would be very difficult.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't quite tell if some of that was passive-aggressive jabs at my driving abilities
He does that a lot. At the end of the day it's your personal preference. I like the whine of a blower over a turbo but each have their pros and cons like others said. If you're trying to go all out and have a high hp beast then a turbo is probably your best bet. You'll just have to make sure you have the supporting fuel, cooling and plumbing mods to go along with it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I can't quite tell if some of that was passive-aggressive jabs at my driving abilities, but either way I appreciate the advice and I'll definitely check out that thread. Also, boost by gear is a must. I have a friend 420 WHP SRT-4 I've driven a handful of times and without it, life would be very difficult.
I don't know your driving style so I could not take jabs at your abilities. People just seem to take what I type as personal when it is not personal.

I probably should have put that one sentence about wheels in red text to show sarcasm. I am more sarcastic than most people like.

Last edited by brian6speed; 04-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

Lol no problem Brian

To my point about traction being an issue, I found this review by Car and Driver of the CT supercharger on an Acura CL-S6 and there were minimal gains as far as 0-60 times and there were no gains in 0-30 times over stock.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

Either way, the question this thread was about has been answered so feel free to let this thread die. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Fwd = traction problems

This is most wish the CL was rwd.