2003 Acura CL Type S Plenums/Intake manifold help

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Acura CL Type S Plenums/Intake manifold help

So I've got an 03 CL Type S and I'm considering some sort of intake manifold upgrade. I'm just wondering what you guys would rather get. I looked at the P2R power plenums and they are kinda pricy for what they are. I've also looked at some forums on the 09 TL intake manifold swap. I looked into this option by searching online, spaldings (salvage yard) and the acura dealership itself. I determined that since there were no TL's in a salvage yard nationwide the price of this option would be even more expensive. Online i was looking at around $6-700 and the dealership said over $800 I'm not looking into any other mods in place of this since I already have CAI, Headers, TBS, and underdrive crank pulley on the way. If anyone has advice on my dilema I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S 6 Sleeper
So I've got an 03 CL Type S and I'm considering some sort of intake manifold upgrade. I'm just wondering what you guys would rather get. I looked at the P2R power plenums and they are kinda pricy for what they are. I've also looked at some forums on the 09 TL intake manifold swap. I looked into this option by searching online, spaldings (salvage yard) and the acura dealership itself. I determined that since there were no TL's in a salvage yard nationwide the price of this option would be even more expensive. Online i was looking at around $6-700 and the dealership said over $800 I'm not looking into any other mods in place of this since I already have CAI, Headers, TBS, and underdrive crank pulley on the way. If anyone has advice on my dilema I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
The 09 tl intake manifold should better gains
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM

I don't know where you were looking but when I just looked at the cost at acuraoemparts.com I came up with 388.98 for intake manifold and top plate then you have to get the throttle body adapter which is like another 70 or 80 dollars.

Part numbers are
17140-RK1-A01
17160-RK2-A00
Then throttle body adapter.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
for your parts check out www.acuraoemparts.com and www.oemacuraparts.com. should give you a baseline on what to expect to pay for OEM parts.

there are definitely other sites out there but those are the 2 main sites used by people here (one has cheaper shipping by promo code and the other has an extra 5% for acurazine members)

and what stephen said, you can get the IM and top cover for roughly $400. there is no reason to go with the power plenums, especially since they are more expensive.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
10th Gear

Awesome, thanks for the input! So the two sections of the IM you listed above are the only sections that need to be replaced then? I was assuming there was more to it. Also, what about the hardware to assemble it? I'm also assuming i would want to buy the 09 TL IM gaskets in addition. After hearing you guys talk I think going with the 09 TL IM is a much wiser decission.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input! So the two sections of the IM you listed above are the only sections that need to be replaced then? I was assuming there was more to it. Also, what about the hardware to assemble it? I'm also assuming i would want to buy the 09 TL IM gaskets in addition. After hearing you guys talk I think going with the 09 TL IM is a much wiser decission.
I think it is a better decision because you gain more with them I haven't done it yet. I have to get a type s throttle body because I was told that my tl p throttle body will not mount to the adapter for whatever reason. All you have to do is go to acuraoemparts.com or other websites and it will give you a complete diagram. However from reading the other post they said all you need is the part numbers I listed above.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

Gotcha. So if i buy those two parts, will they come with the hardware to assemble them?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How did this project turn out?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:27 AM
Advanced

is the OP still around?

Was going to research p2r parts for my 03 TL type s and found a couple threads saying the throttle body spacers and gaskets were a waste of money and barely noticeable gains and ran across this thread. Had read previously about the 09 manifold swap and just pulled up with the part numbers the cost of it on the acura site, is this about right? Or are ones finding used parts for a lot cheaper?

Was curious how the OP's car turned out, but it's from 2012 and I'm sure more have done this swap now! Over $600 plus throttle body. Is a different throttle body required with the swap? Looks like new fuel rails, injectors and fuel pressure regulator are needed as well. Does anyone have part numbers for those too?

Found the parts cheaper

Last edited by NobleTL; 07-26-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Unless you want the Acura logo on the upper manifold cover vs. one that just says "HONDA", then I would save money and not get the Acura top plate. Reason being is that IMRC (secondary runners) are not operable when switching over to this design. It uses a different type of motor that relies on a different type of signal to operate.

So, what I did was purchase an intake manifold from the '08-'12 Accord V6 automatic to use for parts. Those engines use a similar intake manifold with a smaller throttle body opening. However, the top plate, EGR tube and stainless hardware are all compatible. I got my Accord manifold for around $90 shipped off of car-parts.com. It's used, but not too badly.

I take a huge issue with original DIY guide for this manifold as well as the douches who started it. To think you can do a manifold swap with only 3 parts is absurd. Their guide completely leaves out the need for a new lower manifold MLS gasket and new throttle body gaskets for the spacer. I have a new DIY guide I've written on many different stages of this intake manifold swap and it's currently a 12-page word document. I'm still waiting on the performance shop local to me to allow me to dyno, though. One of my other goals was to have a baseline dyno along with a intake-only dyno. Once I can get those done I'll post my guide up with tons of pictures.
The following users liked this post:
mike88se (07-31-2015)