Nav is in..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nav is in..

Finished the install of navigation and TL type S shift knob. I must say it completely changed the look of the cabin, the shift knob looks and feels a lot better compared to factory. I still have two wires to hook up to driver side fuse box, but it's all in place. wiring from the trunk to the front was PITA.

Before:

After:

Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Love the shifter .
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
Like the shifter. Have been thinking about doing the same.

Honestly can't understand wanting to install the factory navi. I have it and it sucks huge time. It crappy 13 year old GPS routing software. If you have to use it to get somewhere, you almost always realize there was a much faster way there. It loves to tell you to go right, go left, go right, go left, go right..... instead of the much faster "go 6 blocks and make a right." The maps look super dated and don't have that many PIO even with the newest map DVD.

I'm replacing my stereo with the Appradio 3. Allow you to run any app on your iPhone/Android phone on it's 7" touchscreen so you can have Google Maps or Waze or TomTom, etc for mapping. Almost with I could have my navi removed as it may look a bit funny with the two screens.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Have to agree, the 2nd gen navi is not very good & is no longer supported. But the dash layout looks 100 times better.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Thanks! Shifter feels really nice, it's a nice upgrade over stock. I think I paid $68 shipped for it brand new. The navigation is in place for the looks and added options, I truly don't need to use it as much to get places.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I Wanna Beer

What are these added options?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWeez
What are these added options?
X2 fill us in LOL. Seriously though, props on the nav conversion. I have a complete nav system that, at one time, wanted to swap into my car, but after seeing that tablet thread, I'll be going with a 7" Galaxy 3 when it's released in a few weeks. THAT will have some added options, i.e. non atari-like resolution, nav, internet tethering off my phone, hard drive, bluetooth, etc etc. Really the possibilities are endless since the apps are for the most part open source.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I Wanna Beer

I'd thought about going the tablet route too but now with my factory stereo's CD changer messing up, it's time for a new deck and that seems much easier than dealing with all the fun of getting the tablet to turn on and off correctly, pair up like it should, etc. Plus one would need to add a tethering plan to have internet access for most GPS software. With the Appradio it will all go through the phone without tethering. Even without a tethering plan needed via one of the many hacks, theres still the pain of tethering the phone every time you get in the car.

Any clue if Roadrunner and those other in-car entertainment projects are still going? They had a lot of promise. Touchscreen interfaces, etc with lots of cool integration.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
It's actually pretty easy. I've been doing a lot of reading of people that have gone the tablet route. Hardwire into cig lighter or other acc spot, there's an app that will turn the unit on/off with power (aka when the car is started and turned off). For tethering, theres already an option on my droid. And i've read that for GPS, you can actually download the maps and after that, use it without an internet connection. This alone makes it worth it for me. I actually have a pioneer avhp4300dvd double din for about 2 years now, but I can't link it to my droid (except through an aux cord which is shit) since they weren't compatible at the time, only Iphones were. The nav itself is a big reason for me. Up to date Google maps for $200 if you were to go buy a galaxy 2 today is pretty unbeatable IMO.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I Wanna Beer

Sounds like a good route. I use TomTom on my iPhone. It has all the maps in the app itself which is nice so you don't need internet connection for it.

Already getting into trouble with DashCommand. Will by nice to have it on a 7" screen for quicker viewing than on the phone screen right now. Can download a ton of different screen themes for it to make it look like anything you want including making your own easily. Has a bunch of other screens for stuff like skidpad and track logging, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
X2 fill us in LOL. Seriously though, props on the nav conversion. I have a complete nav system that, at one time, wanted to swap into my car, but after seeing that tablet thread, I'll be going with a 7" Galaxy 3 when it's released in a few weeks. THAT will have some added options, i.e. non atari-like resolution, nav, internet tethering off my phone, hard drive, bluetooth, etc etc. Really the possibilities are endless since the apps are for the most part open source.
lol I meant as an added option vs. a car that does not have one at all.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by Slobo7x
lol I meant as an added option vs. a car that does not have one at all.
I suppose. I'd almost rather have it removed from my car at this point. It's going to look goofy to have this old ass antique GPS screen that looks like it's showing an original Nintendo game and right below it, a multi-touch screen mirroring any app I put on my iPhone.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheWeez
I suppose. I'd almost rather have it removed from my car at this point. It's going to look goofy to have this old ass antique GPS screen that looks like it's showing an original Nintendo game and right below it, a multi-touch screen mirroring any app I put on my iPhone.
oh I understand, trust me. if I were planning on keeping this car for a very long time I'd go the same route, would not even mess with all this.

What is your plan on integrating the tablet into the car, how will it communicate with the actual computer to read various data?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I Wanna Beer

oh I understand, trust me. if I were planning on keeping this car for a very long time I'd go the same route, would not even mess with all this.

What is your plan on integrating the tablet into the car, how will it communicate with the actual computer to read various data?
I'm going with the Pioneer Appradio 3. It's a 7" touchscreen stereo. It allows you to plugin your iPhone/Android phone and play music and video from it (can do music over Bluetooth) but also lets you put any app on your phone, right on the screen and control it just as you would on your phone. So I can put Google Maps or Pandora on there. Uses the phone's normal data so nothing to configure. Can play Angry Birds on the 7" screen if you like or whatever. Then I'll just either use the music on my iPhone or stream it from a source online like Pandora or from my home computer.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced

So it will be strictly for entertainment no actual data-logging from the cars PCM?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I Wanna Beer

So it will be strictly for entertainment no actual data-logging from the cars PCM?
I currently use a Bluetooth OBD-II interface with my iPhone and DashCommand to log data. DashCommand also works with the Appradio 3 so it will display on the 7" screen rather than the smaller iPhone screen.

DashCommand logs pretty much everything. Speed, g-force, fuel consumption, amount of horsepower and torque being used, intake temp, water temp, GPS location, and a ton more.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...hone/index.php

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced

very nice! That will be well worth the money.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Gotta love that tl shift knob, i have one my self but I went a step further and got it countersunk. The look and feel is amazing ccompared to stock. Looking at the stock shifter it looks so hight up kinda like a tractor trailers shifter.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Can you elaborate on that? Is yours sitting even lower?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I Wanna Beer

One can cut the shift lever and re-thread it so it's lower. Shortens the throw but does add additional shifting effort so you don't want to take much off. Just an inch or two.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Sure, yeah mine sits a lot lower. I didn't cut the lever just got a tap and die kit and used it on the shift knob. So pretty much the shift knob screws a lot more than stock, Going just a few extra notches through the knob then I just put the cap over top of it. There's a pic of it in my cl progress thread, I believe its the last pic.