01 CL Type-S Gear shift PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 CL Type-S Gear shift PROBLEM

Automatic gear shifter sticks sporadically. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
-Brake and brake lights work fine
-Horn works
-Fuses are ok also

When its not working, I can depress the brakes to the floor and nothing. I do this several times and still nothing. Sometimes I bang on the geatshift and it finally moves, other times I wait, keep depressing brake then it finally works. Makes life hectic when backing out of a parking spot and cant get into drive quickly!

Anyone else encounter this and have a fix?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about when you're trying to shift out of park. Happened to me once. It's usually a faulty brake switch (which from what I've read is somewhat common on these cars) I haven't replaced mine, but I have heard that it's a very simple fix. I'm sure there's a DIY about it 'round here...

Or you can just pop the shift lock and start the car in neutral and go reverse --> drive from there.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
brake switch is right above your brake pedal where the interior trim ends by your leg. just follow the brake pedal assembly and you will see it clearly..

if you wanna test it, disconnect the wires and check for continuity with your volt meter set on OHMS. when the brake is not touched I presume it is not completing the circuit and when u press the pedal and the spring in the switch opens it up that should complete4 the circuit.

it could be the other way around tho, but either way it should complete a circuit and then disconnect the circuit, every time you actual the brake pedal switch....

when u are in the car and it's on, and u press the brake pedal switch... do you hear the little click by the shifter that is disengaging the lock?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
brake switch is right above your brake pedal where the interior trim ends by your leg. just follow the brake pedal assembly and you will see it clearly..

if you wanna test it, disconnect the wires and check for continuity with your volt meter set on OHMS. when the brake is not touched I presume it is not completing the circuit and when u press the pedal and the spring in the switch opens it up that should complete4 the circuit.

it could be the other way around tho, but either way it should complete a circuit and then disconnect the circuit, every time you actual the brake pedal switch....

when u are in the car and it's on, and u press the brake pedal switch... do you hear the little click by the shifter that is disengaging the lock?
Didnt hear the noise to disengage the lock. I have read the other posts concerning the brake switch but if I recall correctly they also said to that if my horn and/or brake lights were properly functioning then its not the brake switch. Definitely an odd issue here. Will keep looking and keep every posted on how I resolve.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
k well then if ur brake switch IS working for sure then u need the mechanism that disengages the lock by the shifter.

I would see where that is.... get 2 wires and connect them to ur battery to get 12 v and then power the mechanism up directly to see if it actuates.

if it doesn't do shit... that's going to be ur problem.

you gotta keep moving from the things that work and follow it to the source of your problem. each time u find the next thing in line... test it for continuity and or power it up to make sure it does in fact work.. then move onward.