dimming lights- update

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 11:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dimming lights- update

Hey guys, a few weeks ago i posted a message about the lights on the CL dimming when the turn signals come on. Well, just wanted to let you all know that i went to the dealership and they told me there was a bulletin out about this situation.

Supposedly, when you notice the dimming effect, it is because the alternator has shut off and the car's electrical demand is being supplied by the battery only. This occurs to "improve gas milage" and that there is nothing wrong with the car. I told them a car's light is not supposed to dim like that and it is NOT normal. They insisted it was normal and that they wouldn't fix it cause there was nothing wrong with the car. So there you have it, I have dimming lights that are supposed to be normal says Acura.

Some of you also stated that the car was ok after replacing the alternator- thats kinda odd considering they say the alternator is "off" during that time.

Just in case anyone else wonders why their lights dim, that is the answer.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

I have had that problem before and after I had my alternator replaced. I don't think I notice it as often as I did before the alternator was replaced, however it could simply because I've gotten used to it.

As far as the dealer telling you that the alternator shuts off and the power is run from the battery, I think that Bull. I may be wrong, but I don't think that would be a good thing. What if you had a bad battery to begin with? Every car in the world uses the battery simply to start the car and maintain it when the engine is off and the car runs off the alternator when it's on. That's the point of having the alternator! Just my $.02! What's the service bulletin say? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:56 AM
Scooby Guru

A good battery will put out around 12V when the motor's off. When the engine's on, it shouldn't ever go much under 14V unless you have an underdrive pulley.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:03 AM
Racer

Dealer gave me a copy of the letter. This is what it says verbatim:

Lights Dimming and the ELD
NOTE: This applies to all Acuras except the SLX

Soon after the change from daylight savings time to standard time, Tech Line gets numerous calls about fickering or dimming headlights or dashlights when brakes or turn signals are used.

This flickering or momentary dimming happens when the battery is supplying most of the electrical load, not the alternator. It's something customers are more likely to notice during their dark evening commutes that start with the change from daylight savings time to standard time. If your customer complains about the lights dimmings, tell them about the ELD and how it works.

Since the early 90's, all vehicles charging systems have and ELD (electrical load detector). The ELD sends a signal to the ECM/PCM that's porportional to electrical demand. The ECM/PCM switches the alternator between normal and low output depending on several factors, which include electrical demand, battery charge level, and the driving cycle. When the alternator is off, the engine load is reduced and fuel economy improves.

Unless the vehicle won't crank or it has other syptoms of a weak battery, the lights dimming is probably not a sign of electrical or charging system trouble.
So basically, Acura says "tough shit".. hmm makes me think twice about being a loyal Acura owner.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: 3PointZero ]
Old 07-10-2001, 10:06 AM
Midnight Marauder

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.
I'd like to get a switch that turns the alternator off when I want it to for more power...
Interestingly, I don't know how the alternator could be turned off to decrease the load because there is no clutch on it like there is on the AC.
I'm no expert though.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:58 PM
10th Gear

That's funny, when I complained, my dealer fixed it. That's why I love my dealer. (Better than butter). Seriously, Here's what my paper work says..."at night headlights dim when turn signals on at idle Tech line #877117 checked charging system battery OK called Tech line Removed #2 pine white green wire from connectorC131 fixed problem." Tell your dealer to put that in his pipe and smoke it.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that's true either. Without the alternator being on the charge can-not be stored and the end result would be Your battery going dead. Doesn't sound rite to me. But if they fix it then don't worry about it.