AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-problems-fixes-70/)
-   -   Need your help: Changing Auto Transmission Fluid (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-problems-fixes-70/need-your-help-changing-auto-transmission-fluid-728222/)

Brittonj85 05-25-2009 10:02 AM

Need your help: Changing Auto Transmission Fluid

I am on a time budget and could not find any other thread as simple as mine. I just wanted to ask what type of transmission fluid do I need to purchase, how many quarts and what type of filter should I purchase. If there are any preferred brands that I should choose from please let me know.

My specs: 2003 Acura CL Type S, 5spd Auto.

I went to Pep boys and someone told me to get ATF-Z1 and Acura CL do no have filters. I wanted to verify this with someone who knows about Acura CL first.

Thanks!

Rajca 05-25-2009 10:20 AM

get the honda auto trans fluid from your local acura/honda. dont use anything else. we have an internal filter and a small external filter. but ive only read that one person changed the external filter. its really small. to change the internal filter out u need to take apart the trans. just do the 3x3: drain old fluid, put in new fluid (about 3quarts), drive around so u can get into all gears and do this procedure 3 times.

when u drain it, u drain about 3 quarts, maybe a tinch more, so put in 3quarts of new fluid each time u drain the old fluid out. get 10quarts to make sure u dont run low.

Brittonj85 05-25-2009 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rajca (Post 10935128)
get the honda auto trans fluid from your local acura/honda. dont use anything else. we have an internal filter and a small external filter. but ive only read that one person changed the external filter. its really small. to change the internal filter out u need to take apart the trans. just do the 3x3: drain old fluid, put in new fluid (about 3quarts), drive around so u can get into all gears and do this procedure 3 times.

when u drain it, u drain about 3 quarts, maybe a tinch more, so put in 3quarts of new fluid each time u drain the old fluid out. get 10quarts to make sure u dont run low.

Sweet! You are the man. I will wait until tomorrow to get the fluid from Acura sense everyone over Maryland is closed today. I haven't changed my transmission fluid sense I had the car, for about 2 years but I did notice that the level was low, maybe too low because I can barely see it but I can feel on the dip stick that fluid is there. It's not brown, a bit red but not very clear to the eye but it does smell like tranny fluid. The transmission shits fine in high rpm but far as low is a small thumb as if I was a newbie driving a stick.

When you changed your fluid, you only did the flush and not replaced the filter? I wonder when should the filter be replaced?

Thanks.

Rajca 05-25-2009 11:07 AM

did u check the fluid like the owners manual says to do it?

i only changed the fluid in my tl-s. the filter is inside and no way to get it. and the external is like a secondary filter. it goes through the main one inside the trans then the one outside the trans.

Brittonj85 05-25-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rajca (Post 10935202)
did u check the fluid like the owners manual says to do it?

i only changed the fluid in my tl-s. the filter is inside and no way to get it. and the external is like a secondary filter. it goes through the main one inside the trans then the one outside the trans.

Good idea, I will take a look at the owners manual.

Thanks,

StonedCL 05-25-2009 12:50 PM

There IS a external Filter I have one laying around, I never got to install it.
I posted about this B$ if you search u will find the part #.
I have it at home in the bag with the part # on it but will not be home for awile.

Brittonj85 05-26-2009 08:13 PM

Sweet!!!! I just had my transmission service done today. The car runs great! It's like a brand new car. The transmission shifts perfect and the car rolllllls as if I was trying to speed.

I just had one question about the transmission recall. A friend of mine said if anything happens to my car until I reach 100,000.00 miles I can take it to Acura to be replaced. Is that true?

Nothing is wrong with my transmission now, it was just dirty. I never checked with the dealership if they changed the transmission fluid when I bought the car. I just seen the car on the lot and drove it home that night. I knew I should have checked over the car more but I was on a time budget, had to be on a date that night. Anyway, I love this car. I can't wait until I get my lower springs!!!

Brittonj85 05-26-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by StonedCL (Post 10935408)
There IS a external Filter I have one laying around, I never got to install it.
I posted about this B$ if you search u will find the part #.
I have it at home in the bag with the part # on it but will not be home for awile.

I wouldn't mind buying it but I don't really see myself getting the filter changed any time soon but thanks.

CL-S24 05-27-2009 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brittonj85 (Post 10940267)
Sweet!!!! I just had my transmission service done today. The car runs great! It's like a brand new car. The transmission shifts perfect and the car rolllllls as if I was trying to speed.

I just had one question about the transmission recall. A friend of mine said if anything happens to my car until I reach 100,000.00 miles I can take it to Acura to be replaced. Is that true?

Nothing is wrong with my transmission now, it was just dirty. I never checked with the dealership if they changed the transmission fluid when I bought the car. I just seen the car on the lot and drove it home that night. I knew I should have checked over the car more but I was on a time budget, had to be on a date that night. Anyway, I love this car. I can't wait until I get my lower springs!!!

Did you do the tranny fluid swap at the dealer? If so, how much?

StonedCL 05-27-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CL-S24 (Post 10942743)

I did it a wayne acura an PAA in the past they charge $90-$120 to flush 3 quarts and add 3 new ones THEY DO NOT DO A 3 X 3 NOR DO THEY CHANGE THE FILTER (THEY DONT EVEN KNOW IT EXISTS) I argued with the parts manager and 2 techs for 10 min about a tranny filter they said it did not exsist untill I gave them the part # then they said (its not a filter its a strainer WTF) IDIOTS! If they where to do a 3 X 3 I would guess they would charge $300 - $400 and if you wanted the (Strainer changed w/that) IT would prob be $400 - $500! I have done alot of RESEARCH on out auto tranny and I am on my 3rd one and had the car over 9 years and im not in warrenty anymore so want to keep it running as long as possible.
IT is easier to change the tranny fluid then the OIL I think ANYONE can do it , The filter (strainer) on the other hand might take a little know how.
a Quart of tranny fluid (ONLY USE HONDA / ACURA Z1 ATF) is like $7-$9.
so go buy 3 quarts and flush 3 and refill 3 on your own unless you wanna do a 3 x 3 then buy 9 quarts and save yourself aa boatload of loot if u need help im in north JERSEY!

StonedCL 05-27-2009 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im pretty sure this is the part # for the tranny filter (strainer)

25450-P7W-003

Attachment 86008

StonedCL 05-27-2009 02:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some pics to help install it!!

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...s0k0_atm17.gif

It is #9 in this PIC!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...val2_Final.jpg

Attachment 86009

Some of you guys with a older transmission have this oil jet I have a newer (suposidly fixed tranny so DO NOT have the oil jet just a NUT there (this is where u fill the transmission fluid. If u have a oil jet there I belive u have a older transmission (this was acura's band-aid to the problem)

Attachment 86010

Attachment 86011

Make sure that while removing the steel fluid line not to damage the o-ring. I replaced mine when I replaced my filter. Be sure to coat it with trans fluid before installing the line.

aznboi2424 05-27-2009 03:56 PM

sweet DIY, this should be put in the DIY thread.

im gonna do this at my 105k when i change my tranny fluid.

btw, there are honda ATF-ZR1 compatable fluids that exist.

Brittonj85 05-27-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CL-S24 (Post 10942743)

I didn't because they wanted to charge me 320. I guess it was my blue scrubs that I was wearing from work. I ended up buying 8 bottles and took it to this shop that this 2 Japanese guys own. I've always have taken my car there so I know the guys wouldn't screw me. They have even worked on my 1991 Acura Legend, 1995 Honda Civic etc. He only charged me $50 for the flush and showed me how dirty the fluid was and how to change it.

Brittonj85 05-27-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by StonedCL (Post 10943262)
Im pretty sure this is the part # for the tranny filter (strainer)

25450-P7W-003

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...icture1973.jpg

Sweet! Dude you got me thinking about getting mine done. But I only have 50kmiles so I am not sure when it should be done. But the DIY looks pretty simple.

CL-S24 05-28-2009 03:57 PM

Stoned and Brittonj, Thanks for the info and awesome DIY!

StonedCL 05-28-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by CL-S24 (Post 10947695)
Stoned and Brittonj, Thanks for the info and awesome DIY!

No problem..
I am glad to help EVERYBODY out because the favor was returned to me 10X!
This forum has saved me a sh()Tload of $$ and thought me alot about this car in the 8-9 years I have been a part of it and I am more then happy to share the info I learned on here. Some people get mad and tell others to search but alot changes monthly/yearly..daily.. Instead of people getting mad they should just answer the question if they know the answer or just do not post anything!:thumbsup:

bartolo333 06-05-2009 08:06 AM

this is awesome. thank you

apigo200x 05-10-2010 11:03 AM

hi!!
I had the same problem I change the filter but the oil was not atf z1 honda and two months after the filter is dead yet ...why?
thanks